FIFO (Fly-In, Fly-Out)
WHAT IS FIFO?
Fly-In, Fly-Out (FIFO) jobs are those where employees fly into their work site for the duration of their roster, before flying out to their preferred location when off duty.
Companies work hard to make remote site living an enticing prospect for potential FIFO candidates. Workers can expect fully equipped rooms with comfortable beds and television.
The FIFO lifestyle is dictated by a roster. A typical FIFO roster in remote areas is 2-3 weeks on, 1 week off. When negotiating a FIFO roster, give careful consideration to your coping abilities. Questions candidates should ask themselves are:
- Can I cope with living for extended periods in a remote area?
- Would I prefer shorter on-site stays?
- Am I willing to work a combination of day and night shifts?
- Would I prefer to work only during the day?
BENEFITS OF FIFO
People choose FIFO work for many reasons, some of which are listed here. FIFO arrangements benefit both companies and employees. For companies, FIFO facilitates employment of skilled individuals who would otherwise be unwilling to relocate to remote areas.
For employees, the benefits of FIFO include:
- Financially rewarding
- Live anywhere
- Extended time off
- Changing jobs is easier a positive experience.